Botanic Garden map
Tallinn Botanic Garden was founded in Kloostrimetsa as an institute of the Academy of Sciences on December 1, 1961. In 1995 it became a municipal establishment. Major plant collections were planted during the first 20 years. Outdoor gardens were opened for visitors in 1970 and greenhouses in 1971.
In 1992 TBG became a member of the Association of the Baltic Botanic Gardens (ABBG) and in 1994 joined Botanic Garden Conservation International (BGCI). In 1995, the Society of Friends of Tallinn Botanic Garden was founded.
The premises of today’s TBG stretch across the land of the former farm of Konstantin Päts, the President of Estonia between 1938 and 1940.
About the area
When planning a trip to botanic garden there are lots of other locations nearby or on the way that can be combined into a full day activity.
Read more about each different location below:
Tallinn TV Tower
The Tallinn Television Tower in Pirita is the tallest building in Tallinn and Estonia with 314 metres. The TV Tower is a great tourist, culture and leisure centre.
Distance from Botanic Garden: 500 m.
St. Birgitta’s Convent Ruins
The history of the ruins rising above the banks of the Pirita River date back to 1407, when the largest nunnery in Old Livonia was founded here.
Distance from Botanic Garden: 3 km.
A long-time favourite of pedestrians, cyclists and skaters alike, this 2km paved pathway stretches along the waterfront from Kadriorg to Pirita.
Distance from Botanic Garden: 4,5 km
Pirita TOP Spa Hotel
The Olympic Yachting Centre in Pirita was built for the 1980’s Moscow Olympic games to host the sailing and yachting program. The huge complex is an architectural milestone from the outside and a modern spa center on the inside.
Distance from Botanic Garden: 4,5 km.
Visit TOP Spa hompage
Most popular and biggest beach in Tallinn area, excellent for a hot summer day and good for a romantic walk on less warmer days.
Distance from Botanic Garden: 4 km